Did you know the tomato is a fruit native to Mexico & Central America? European explorers brought back the versatile food in the 16th century, it was widely adopted in Italy & Spain. Our version of Jon Ashton’s 3-tomato soup uses plenty of fresh, vitamin c packed, diced, sun-dried tomatoes & sauce. Less cream and more Villa Gabriella organic extra virgin olive oil & 8-year aged balsamic vinegar for a delicious meatless Monday. Enjoy with a grilled cheese sandwich & take the remainder for lunch the next day! Makes 6-8 servings.
- 2 tablespoons Villa Gabriella Organic extra virgin olive oil + extra 2 tablespoons for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons Villa Gabriella Organic balsamic vinegar di Modena + 1 extra tablespoon for drizzling
- 3 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 5.25 cups fresh, organic cherry tomatoes quartered or 3 (14-oz) cans organic diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 8-oz can organic tomato sauce without meat or added ingredients
- ½ cup half & half or whipping cream
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat
- Add onion & celery; sauté 5-7 minutes or when onion is transparent, celery is tender
- Add broth, sun-dried tomatoes, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce & thyme
- Simmer over low heat, uncovered 20-45 minutes minutes
- Discard the thyme sprigs
- Transfer soup to a blender, or use an immersion blender in pan, puree until smooth
- Return soup to saucepan, stir in half-and-half, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper
- Cook 15 minutes over low heat uncovered
- Garnish with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar & olive oil
- Serve & enjoy with Villa Graziella artisan crafted Rosso Toscano made with organic grapes.
Freeze the remainder in an airtight glass container or jar up to 1 month.
Tried, Tasted & True!
At Villa Gabriella Organic our team tries & tastes every recipe we feature. While we love to share our family recipes & those of talented home cooks & chefs, sometimes we adapt them so they are even easier to make. As with our products, our goal is for you to have a healthy & delicious experience using Villa Gabriella recipes. So try them out in your kitchen, feel free to tweak them & please tell us what you think. We welcome your comments & feedback!
Grazie da Team VILLA GABRIELLA