Part of winter’s bounty of fruit, oranges pair perfectly with Villa Gabriella organic, extra virgin olive oil to make a moist, delicious, fruit flavored and guilt free dessert. Easy to make, enjoy it after dinner, while it tastes even better the next day at breakfast or as a snack.
1/3 Cup Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ¼ Cups all-purpose flour, plus more to dust the cake pan
2 Eggs room temperature
Juice (pulp included) and zest of 1 orange (approx. 3 tablespoons of juice, 1 tablespoon zest). Add additional orange juice & zest for extra flavor if desired. Reserve a few extra slices for garnish-optional.
¾ Cup of turbinado sugar (Sugar In The Raw)
1 ½ Teaspoons sea salt
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
½ Teaspoon baking soda
½ Teaspoon salt
Unsalted butter to grease baking pan
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
1 sprig of fresh mint optional
- Preheat oven to 350◦F
- Grease and flour a 9-inch round pan
- Mix together sugar, eggs in a medium bowl with a hand mixer on medium speed until thoroughly blended
- Drizzle in olive oil and vanilla, mix until a smooth batter
- Add orange juice and zest, mix well
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another medium bowl
- Add the flour mixture in small increments to the wet batter and mix on low to blend
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes
- Let cake cool, dust with confectioners’ sugar, add orange slices & mint for garnish
- Serve and enjoy! Cover securely to prevent from drying out.