Happy National Picnic Month! Celebrate with this perfect picnic pesto!
Pesto sauce hails from the northern Italian region of Liguria, in the port city of Genoa. The word originates from the Italian verb “pestare” meaning to pound or crush. Ancient Romans prepared the sauce with a marble mortar & wooden pestle. Fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, parsley leaves, pine nuts & sheep milk cheese were pounded or crushed in a circular motion with the mortar & pestle. The paste was eaten with bread, meat & vegetables in addition to pasta.
As basil is at its peak freshness, enjoy a picnic with an easy, delicious & healthy pesto sauce made with our
Villa Gabriella certified Organic Extra Virgin, Italian Olive Oil. It can be served warm or at room temperature.
- 1/3 cup Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup of fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Combine basil leaves, parsley, pine nuts & garlic in a blender or food processor.
- Pulse a few times to roughly chop ingredients.
- Add cheese, lemon juice, sea salt & red pepper flakes.
- Blend for a 2 minutes or until ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Run the blender or food processor while pouring in olive oil & mix.
- Store in a covered container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator or a cool dark place (if it lasts that long).
- N.B. The Perfect Picnic Pesto can also be made with a mortar & pestle by roughly chopping all ingredients & crushing in a circular motion.