Independence Day was also National BBQ day! We were so busy participating at the Wilmette French Market then grilling our organic farm stand veggies & freshly baked pita bread, we never posted this easy to make grilled Mediterranean vegetable spread! Charring the onions & peppers brings out aromatic, smoky-sweet flavors. Prepare ahead & serve at room temperature as a healthy& delicious appetizer with grilled pita chips or as flavorful condiment to barbequed brisket, lamb or steak.
Serves 6-8 as an appetizer or side condiment
1. ½ cup Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus extra to flavor
2. ½ cup Villa Gabriella Aged Balsamic Vinegar di Modena
3. 2 red onions cut into half-inch rounds
4. 2 red bell peppers seeded & cut in half (can use yellow or orange peppers too)
5. 2 bunches parsley, finely chopped
6. 1 bunch basil, chopped
7. 2 cloves minced garlic
8. 2 tablespoons dried oregano
9. Sea salt & fresh ground pepper
- Brush peppers lightly with Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, season with salt & pepper
- Over high heat, char the peppers on a grill or in a cast iron pan approx. 5 minutes on each side, or until peppers are soft & charred.
- Remove from heat & cover for 10 minutes.
- Brush onions lightly with Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, season with salt & pepper,
- Over high heat, char the onions on a grill or in a cast iron pan approx. 5 minutes per side, or until onions are crisp & blackened.
- Dice charred peppers.
- Combine parsley, basil, peppers & garlic in a large bowl.
- Remove onions from heat & allow to cool.
- Place onions on a cutting board & chop while drizzling a bit of Villa Gabriella Organic Aged Balsamic Vinegar di Modena on onions until mixture becomes a jam like paste.
- Add onion paste to the bowl with the diced peppers, garlic & herbs, stir in Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Villa Gabriella Organic Aged Balsamic Vinegar & oregano.
- Mix well, cover & chill for 5 hours to overnight.
- Bring to room temperature, serve & enjoy!