We are a little late celebrating National Pumpkin Day, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy these healthy pumpkin muffins. Did you know pumpkin has been found to lower blood pressure, protect your heart, boost vision, make you feel fuller, and help your sleep?? These pumpkin and olive oil muffins are delicious, and healthy (always a bonus)! These little muffins are made with whole wheat flour too, which makes them light and fluffy. They are delicious with almond butter spread on top to add a little protein.
- ⅓ cup Villa Gabriella Organic extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup honey
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- ¼ cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling on top
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, allspice, or cloves
- 1¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour or regular whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned oats, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit & fill muffin-tin with muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together with a whisk. Add eggs, and beat well. Mix in the pumpkin purée and milk, followed by the baking soda, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice or cloves.
- Add the flour and oats to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, just until combined. If you’d like to add any additional mix-ins, like nuts, chocolate or dried fruit, fold them in now.
- Divide the batter evenly between the twelve muffin cups. For these muffins, it’s ok to fill the cups a little higher than you normally would. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with a small amount of oats, followed by a sprinkle of cinnamon. Bake muffins for 23 to 26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack. Enjoy muffins as is or with a spread of nut butter or regular butter
Tried, Tasted & True!
At Villa Gabriella Organic our team tries & tastes every recipe we feature. While we love to share our family recipes & those of talented home cooks & chefs, sometimes we adapt them so they are even easier to make. As with our products, our goal is for you to have a healthy & delicious experience using Villa Gabriella recipes. So try them out in your kitchen, feel free to tweak them & please tell us what you think. We welcome your comments & feedback!
Grazie da Team VILLA GABRIELLA
Recipe source: http://cookieandkate.com/2014/healthy-maple-pumpkin-muffins/