Focaccia derives from the Latin noun “focaccia”- hearth or fireside. A cross between flat bread & traditional bread, culinary historians date it 2,000 years prior to the arrival of pizza when Roman civilizations made a flat yeast bread from flour, olive oil & water baking it in the hearth or under ashes. Talented home cook Laurel recently shared her focaccia made with pesto sauce using Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Enjoy it with a salad & a glass of wine for a healthy & delicious snack or light dinner.
- 2 cups warm water (105-110F)
- 2 tsp yeast
- 2 tsp table salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil olive oil
- 1/4 cup pesto, see recipe below
- Put the yeast in a large mixing bowl and pour in the warm water.
- Add the salt & 2 cups of the flour, mix into a soft and sticky dough.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of flour & mix well. (The dough will still be a bit sticky)
- Cover & let rise for 40 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. arrange rack in the oven to the center
- Press out the dough on a well-oiled baking sheet.
- Using your fingers, ease it into a rectangle, approximately 9x13, give or take.
- Put the olive oil in a small bowl & dip your fingers into the oil, then all over the bread, poking the bread surface, leaving little pools of oil.
- Gently spread pesto, or any other topping, over the bread.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden.
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2/3 cup Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- Combine the basil, garlic, & walnuts in a food processor, pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add 1/2 cup of the oil & process until fully incorporated & smooth.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Add all the remaining oil, pulse until smooth.
- Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl & mix in the cheese.
- You can freeze pesto in an ice cube tray for single-serving portions. Transfer to a zip-top bag once frozen. Keeps for up to three months.
HOW DID THIS RECIPE GO? DID YOU ADD ANOTHER INGREDIENT TO MAKE IT EVEN BETTER? PLEASE SHARE YOUR COMMENTS & FEEDBACK WITH US! WE WANT YOU TO HAVE A HEALTHY & DELICIOUS EXPERIENCE WITH OUR PRODUCTS!
GRAZIE DA TEAM VILLA GABRIELLA