August 10th was the feast of Saint Lawrence, the patron saint of chefs & cooks. We celebrated Saint Lawrence with an orzo summer salad using Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Villa Gabriella Aged Balsamic Vinegar, orzo pasta, fresh seasonal tomatoes, red onion, chick peas, olives & feta cheese. Heart healthy, nutritious & easy to prepare, we combined recipes from Eatingwell.com & Thepioneerwoman.com for a non meat version. The dish can be served as a delicious first course or side dish to compliment grilled chicken or fish.
What to enjoy with your Orzo Summer Salad? Protein rich chickpeas & feta cheese pair perfectly with the bright acidity of Villa Graziella Bianco Trebbiano artisan crafted white wine made with organic grapes.
- 1/4 cup Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Villa Gabriella Organic Aged Balsamic Vinegar
- 12 ounces, Orzo pasta-cooked according to directions, drained & cooled.
- 2 cups cherry or yellow grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 cup drained & rinsed garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 cup Feta cheese crumbled
- 1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted & halved
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove fresh garlic finely minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley minced
- Sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice & garlic in a bowl until thoroughly blended, set dressing aside
- Place cooled orzo in a large mixing bowl
- Add sliced olives, red onion, tomatoes & garbanzo beans to a mixing bowl
- Pour dressing over ingredients & mix thoroughly
- Add salt & pepper to taste
- Cover & refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving, or overnight
- Top with crumbled feta cheese, balsamic vinegar & minced parsley stir, serve & enjoy!
- N.B. Sliced cucumber can also be added right before serving to avoid soggy veggies.
HOW DID THIS RECIPE GO? DID YOU ADD ANOTHER INGREDIENT TO MAKE IT EVEN BETTER? PLEASE SHARE YOUR COMMENTS & FEEDBACK WITH US! WE WANT YOU TO HAVE A HEALTHY & DELICIOUS EXPERIENCE WITH OUR PRODUCTS!
GRAZIE DA TEAM VILLA GABRIELLA