Agrodolce “sweet & sour” in Italian or Gastrique in French, is a subtle, sweet & tangy condiment. Vinegar & sugar based, Agrodolce can be thin syrup like, or thick like relish. Drizzle over fruit, use as a sauce for meat or to dress vegetables. We used the season’s abundant pears, Villa Gabriella Organic 8-Year Aged Balsamic Vinegar di Modena & crumbled blue cheese for a delicious & different, winter dessert. Makes 4 servings.
- 1/2 cup Villa Gabriella Organic 8-Year Aged Balsamic Vinegar di Modena
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger if possible, or granulated ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 peeled Bosc pears, cored & each cut into 4 wedges (you can also use Anjou or Bartlett pears).
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) blue cheese, crumbled
- Dash of cracked black pepper
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Combine sugar, water, vinegar & ginger in a small saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat & simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves, (8-10 minutes).
- Drain mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl, discard solids & reserve cooking liquid.
- Melt brown sugar & butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook 2 minutes.
- Add chopped thyme, lemon juice & salt.
- Add pears, cut-side down, to pan, reduce heat to low & cook 5-10 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Add liquid mixture back to pan, simmer 5 minutes.
- Arrange 2 pear wedges on a platter; drizzle pears with pan juices, sprinkle cheese over pears; followed by black pepper.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
- Serve & enjoy!
Tried, Tasted & True!
At Villa Gabriella Organic our team tries & tastes every recipe we feature. While we love to share our family recipes & those of talented home cooks & chefs, sometimes we adapt them so they are even easier to make. As with our products, our goal is for you to have a healthy & delicious experience using Villa Gabriella recipes. So try them out in your kitchen, feel free to tweak them & please tell us what you think. We welcome your comments & feedback!
Grazie da Team VILLA GABRIELLA