“People Who Love To Eat Are Always The Best People” ~ Chef Julia Child
We could not agree more! As a youngster, I remember Chef Child’s ebullient & refreshing personality creating amazing dishes on her PBS television show The French Chef. What a difference from today’s celebrity “chefs” who assemble food, taste for the camera then quickly spit for fear of gaining weight. Without any food stylists, hair & make up people, writers or publicists, Chef Child penned her recipes, prepped the ingredients, cooked the food & ate her dishes-enjoying every bite!
Classically trained in post WWII France, an accomplished author, she introduced authentic, & healthy culinary traditions to Americans for 40 years. Chef Child’s generous spirit, humorous personality & genuine love of food make her the kind of person we’d want to share a meal with.
We’re celebrating the culinary legend’s August 15th birthday with her classic & very delicious vinaigrette dressing using Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 8-Year Aged Balsamic Vinegar di Modena. We added seasonal fresh ingredients from the farmers market for a luscious & satisfying salad. Makes approx. 1/2 cup dressing, for 2 ½-3 quarts salad greens or cooked vegetables.
From Julia's Kitchen Wisdom-Julia Child. Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
- 2 tablespoons Villa Gabriella Organic 8-year aged balsamic vinegar di Modena
- 8 tablespoons Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh lemon
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot &/or 1/4 teaspoon dried herbs-tarragon or basil
- Either make the dressing in an empty salad bowl: Slowly beat vinegar, lemon juice, salt and mustard in bowl to dissolve the salt
- Slowly beat in the oil by droplets to make an emulsion
- Add optional shallots & selected seasonings
- Or place all ingredients in a covered jar, shake vigorously to blend & add seasoning
- Test dressing-dip a piece of the lettuce into the vinaigrette.
- Correct seasoning by slowly adding drops of vinegar, oil, salt or pepper & beat
- Serve in chilled salad bowls or plates & enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator up to 1 week
Tip: Julia said the usual proportions of 1part vinegar to parts oil for a salad dressing are too acidic. Instead, use 1 to 5 proportions as per a dry martini since you can always add more vinegar but not take out!
Tried, Tasted & True!
At Villa Gabriella Organic our team tries & tastes every recipe we feature. While we love to share our family recipes & those of talented home cooks & chefs, sometimes we adapt them so they are even easier to make. As with our products, our goal is for you to have a healthy & delicious experience using Villa Gabriella recipes. So try them out in your kitchen, feel free to tweak them & please tell us what you think. We welcome your comments & feedback!
Grazie da Team VILLA GABRIELLA