September 29th is Extra Virgin Olive Oil Day & we’re celebrating with a perennial favorite, Pesto Genovese! Autumn is officially here yet there are still vestiges of summer with abundant pots of fresh basil & parsley on the patio. We modified the esteemed Marcella Hazan’s recipe using Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil for an easy & delicious pasta sauce. Pesto originates from the northwestern port city of Genoa in the Liguria region & the Italian verb “pestare” is to pound or crush. Ancient Romans prepared the sauce with a marble mortar & wooden pestle using fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, parsley, pine nuts & sheep’s milk cheese. Pounding & crushing in a circular motion the thick paste topped bread, meat, vegetables & of course pasta. Serves 6.
- 1/3 cup Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup of fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated or Pecorino Romano
- 1-2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Combine basil leaves, parsley, pine nuts & garlic in a blender or food processor
- Pulse a few times to roughly chop ingredients
- Add cheese, lemon juice, sea salt & red pepper flakes
- Blend for a 2-minutes or until ingredients are thoroughly mixed
- Run the blender or food processor while slowly pouring in olive oil
- Mix the ingredients
- Add more oil if desired
- Serve & enjoy warm or at room temperature over dry or fresh pasta
- Store in a covered container up to 1 week in the refrigerator
- Freeze by adding a layer of olive oil on the surface before sealing the container
Tried, Tasted & True!
At Villa Gabriella Organic our team tries & tastes every recipe we feature. While we love to share our family recipes & those of talented home cooks & chefs, sometimes we adapt them so they are even easier to make. As with our products, our goal is for you to have a healthy & delicious experience using Villa Gabriella recipes. So try them out in your kitchen, feel free to tweak them & please tell us what you think. We welcome your comments & feedback!
Grazie da Team VILLA GABRIELLA
Source: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking Marcella Hazan - Ballantine Books