Need a winter warm up? Celebrate National Soup Month with cozy, barley & turkey soup! An antique, cereal grain cultivated throughout the globe & a kitchen staple in many cuisines, barley is calcium, magnesium & potassium rich. Using Villa Gabriella Organic extra virgin olive & our slow cooker, we adapted an all recipes for a healthy, delicious, cold weather dish. Makes approx. 5 servings
- ¼ cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil + extra 2 tablespoons for drizzling
- 1-pound turkey or Italian sausage
- 6 cups organic chicken broth
- 10 ounces fresh kale or spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons oil to a skillet, add kale cook until soft.
- Add onion & garlic to skillet, cook until translucent.
- Add turkey sausage, cook until evenly browned.
- Season with pepper & sea salt.
- In a slow cooker, mix the sausage & spinach mixture.
- Add chicken broth, carrot & barley.
- Cover slow cooker, cook 4 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low.
- Stir occasionally, season to taste with pepper & sea salt.
- Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Serve & enjoy with Villa Graziella artisan crafted Rosso Toscano made with organic grapes.
Tried, Tasted & True!
At Villa Gabriella Organic our team tries & tastes every recipe we feature. While we love to share our family recipes & those of talented home cooks & chefs, sometimes we adapt them so they are even easier to make. As with our products, our goal is for you to have a healthy & delicious experience using Villa Gabriella recipes. So try them out in your kitchen, feel free to tweak them & please tell us what you think. We welcome your comments & feedback!
Grazie da Team VILLA GABRIELLA