The meat & cheese filled life preserver shaped pasta, Tortellini dates to the early 1660’s region of Emilia Romagna in north central Italy. Legend suggests an infatuated inn keeper spied upon the sleeping Goddess of Love Venere (Venus) through the key hole of the door to her room. So taken with her shapely form, he filled pasta dough he was making with cheese, twisting it around his ring finger to resemble the form of her navel. Feb. 13th is National Tortellini day, we’ll celebrate with a recipe we tweaked using Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, fresh cherry tomatoes & kale with boneless chicken breast for a nutritious, flavor packed, week-night winter dinner. Makes 4 abundant main course servings.
- 1-pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons Villa Gabriella Organic Extra Virgin Olio Nuovo olive oil, plus extra to flavor
- 20 ounces of fresh or refrigerated tortellini
- 2 cups fresh (or frozen) kale or spinach, washed, dried, cut into pieces, discard the stems
- 3 cups organic chicken broth
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Sea salt & cracked pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat
2. Add chicken to the pan, season with salt & pepper, cook until browned 5-8 minutes
3. Remove the chicken from the pan; cover to keep warm & set aside
4. Add butter to the pan, melt until foaming, whisk flour, cook for 1 minute
5. Stir in chicken broth, simmer 2-4 minutes or until slightly thickened
6. Add tortellini pasta to the pan, bring to a boil cooking 4 minutes, stirring occasionally
ensuring tortellini is coated with liquid
7. Stir in cream & parmesan cheese, simmer over medium heat 1-3 minutes
8. Return the chicken back to the pan with kale, cook 2-3 minutes, or until kale is wilted
9. Fold in tomatoes to the tortellini mixture
10. Sprinkle parsley over the top, serve & enjoy!
Tip: Let tortellini stand covered for 2-4 minutes allowing sauce to thicken & flavors to fully blend.
Tried, Tasted & True!
At Villa Gabriella Organic our team tries & tastes every recipe we feature. While we love to share our family recipes & those of talented home cooks & chefs, sometimes we adapt them so they are even easier to make. As with our products, our goal is for you to have a healthy & delicious experience using Villa Gabriella recipes. So try them out in your kitchen, feel free to tweak them & please tell us what you think. We welcome your comments & feedback!
Grazie da Team VILLA GABRIELLA